29 May 2019
Victorian budget: investing in the future of cancer discovery and care
- Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre
The Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre (VCCC) welcomes the state government budget announcement; a wonderful investment in progressing cancer discovery and care.
Congratulations to the VCCC alliance members and sector collaborators on gaining the Victorian Government’s support for these important initiatives:
- Development of a Gamma Knife Service at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Increasing clinical trial access to patients with cancer living in regional and rural locations through the Australian Clinical Trials Network ‘TrialHub’
- Access to specialist care, allocating an extra 500,000 specialist appointments for regional and rural Victorians
- Supporting research translation to discoveries through the Australian Drug Discovery Centre at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
- Advancing the Aikenhead Centre for Medical Discovery at St Vincent’s Hospital, Australia’s first research and education centre for biomedical engineering
- Additional funding to expand Footscray Hospital, Western Health
“Victoria leads Australia in cancer research, education and clinical trials through our innovative hospitals, medical research institutes, health organisations and universities,” VCCC Executive Director Professor Grant McArthur said.
“Ongoing support and investment from the Victorian Government for the sector ensures we continue to provide beneficial outcomes to the Victorian community, as well as those nationally and internationally.”