The VCCC works with host sites to support interns; providing orientation and external training, as well as complete standardised requirements.
Clinical trial unit hosts will be responsible for:
- Working with the VCCC to recruit a suitable intern for hosting
- Arrange for an appointment for the intern
- Release the intern during the program to attend training with the VCCC or relevant third parties, as provided by the VCCC
- Work to support the intern to the best of their abilities to complete the intern requirements and provide any relevant reporting during this time, including a final presentation of results and written report at the end of phases 1 and 2 of the program including:
- Full supervision and mentorship of the interns at the site
- Setting regular meetings to track intern training progress and resolve any raised issues
- Assessment and grading of the intern’s competencies at advised time points during traineeship, based on SKILLED competency framework
- Reporting the intern’s assessments to VCCC (via Supervisor’s LMS Portal)
- Internal management of the intern’s behavioural performance following organisational policies and procedures
- Escalating unresolved issues with interns to VCCC
- Attendance at host site working party meetings, workshops and meetings regarding the SKILLED program and/or intern
- Commitment to the planned internship program dates and schedules related to orientation, rotations, online training and attendance at relevant workshops/conferences
- Assisting interns in planning and implementing their site improvement project (as an integral part of the intern’s traineeship assessment)
- Conform with all agreed VCCC reporting requirements
- Participation in evaluation activities of the SKILLED program as required
- Formally advise VCCC of any identified threats or risks to prevent any potential effect on the program
- Send a representative to participate in the SKILLED working party
Please review the host responsibilities to ensure you can meet the support requirements and provide an intern with a comprehensive on-the-job learning experience.
The program, due to commence in February 2020, is focused on expanding its reach and to have Clinical Trial Assistants and/or Study Coordinators placed at sites who participated in the 2019 program as well as encourage new clinical trial unit sites.
You may be eligible to host an intern or apply for a shared position, which enables the intern to rotate through your unit in partnership with another site.
The VCCC is developing several models for 2020 which include partnering with:
- APR.Intern to recruit up to eight Study Coordinator interns (40 week program)
- RMIT to recruit two-to-three Clinical Trial Assistant interns (40 weeks program) – first round of intern interviews are taking place on Friday 6 September 2019
The VCCC will support clinical trial unit sites with the financial cost of hosting an intern. The financial commitment will depend on the number of host sites confirming their participation in 2020.
Expression of interest application
Download a copy of the EOI form, fill it in and return to Chris Packer, VCCC Workforce Development Manager by Friday 20 September.
Please contact Chris Packer directly for enquiries.