Cancer Survivorship for PCPs
This four-week, part-time massive open online course is designed for primary care practitioners, including GPs, nurses and allied health professionals.
It has been developed collaboratively and draws upon the expertise and experience of VCCC Alliance staff, affiliated organisations and people experiencing cancer, friends and families.
The program adheres to best practice survivorship care and course content covers:
- An awareness of cancer survivorship
- The importance of a shared care model
- Benefits for the patient and healthcare system
Participants will receive a Certificate of Participation; continuing professional development (CPD) points will be available through the relevant college.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Recognise cancer as a chronic disease and its burden on the patient, health system and society, as well as understand the evolving role of the primary care practitioners (PCP).
- Apply the models of care, optimal care pathways and clinical guidelines that direct survivorship care.
- Recognise the psychosocial impacts of cancer treatments.
- Outline the risk of new primary, local or metastatic recurrences and their temporal pattern.
- Outline the consequences of cancer treatment on cancer survivors of various age-groups.
- Recognise the advancements of new and emerging cancer therapies.
- Survivorship Fundamentals
- Communication and Coordination of Care
- Supportive Care
- Long Term and Late Effects
- New Cancer Therapies
- Delivery method
This accessible program delivers relevant, evidence-based resources and is available as a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC).
2021 course dates
This course has been widely embraced by the primary care community. It will be presented three times throughout 2021 commencing on the following dates.
Run 9 – 1 March 2021
Run 10 – 21 June 2021
Run 11 – 4 October 2021
Contact us for further information
For information contact Erin Turner, Program Manager, Digital Interface via email.
The Cancer Survivorship for Primary Care Practitioners program is proudly supported by the Victorian Government.